Code: Realize -Guardian of Rebirth- -- No Spoiler Review

 Code: Realize -Guardian of Rebirth-

System: Switch, PS4, PS Vita

Price: $39.99, $49.99 (only available bundled with first fandisk), $39.99

Voice Acting: Yes (Japanese)

ESRB Rating: T (13+)

Overall Rating: Stole 9/10 ♥s



Pre-Game Perception: Somehow a girl that has poison skin gets to romance literary dudes in London, and there’s something about a train. All the guys are so hot.

Morning-After Reflection: A story about how low self-esteem doesn’t bar you from being loved, and everyone is broken in some regard. We're all monsters, but still beautiful people.


Story: “Venture into a reimagined steampunk version of 19th century London. Follow the tale of the poison-skinned maiden Cardia and the men trying to help her. Experience an adventure brimming with literary and historical characters including Victor Frankenstein and Abraham Van Helsing.


Will Cardia find love, or destroy those she cares for? Her story is in your hands.”

Interest Rating: 7.5/10 Steampunk is okay. Frankenstein? Van Helsing? I’m more interested. Poison-skinned MC? I don’t even know what’s going on anymore.


MC: The MC’s default name is Cardia Beckford. Her first name can be changed, and her last name isn’t used very often (actually, I don’t think at all) nor is it displayed in the name field for the text box. She has her own sprite by the text box and is drawn in many CGs. She is not voiced, as is typical for most MCs in VNs. Cardia is a young woman of unknown age, depicted as late-teen, who is introduced as a girl with poisonous skin and blood. She only remembers the previous two years from the moment she is introduced to the story, before that is all a blank save for some vague memories of her father’s voice. It becomes apparent that she spent those two years mainly in solitude in a decrepit mansion where she read the books that had been left behind and simply waited for her father to return, as directed by a note she had found that claimed he would. She is the blankest of blanks starting out. As apathetic as it gets. That is, until the prologue is over and she has been whisked away by a certain gentleman thief, Arsene Lupin.

From then on, Cardia grows as a person. We get to witness her developing a personality, expanding her knowledge, learning new skills that she gets to actually use in the story, and create relationships both platonic and romantic. She was blessed to be surrounded by not only hot men, but men that are practical experts in their own fields, and they bestow what they know on her. As the story continues, she proves to be something special for the 1850 (alternate universe) time period that the game takes place in. The writing for her character is top-tier.


Likability Rating: Shu. If you want a woman who problem-solves instead of presenting a problem to be solved, this is your girl.


Plot: If you’re as confused as I was about what this game is actually about, let me lay down some tracks for you. We start with a poisonous girl, Cardia, who is sort of kidnapped rescued by Arsene Lupin, a renowned gentleman thief, from the clutches of England’s Queensguard who are all calling our precious heroine a “monster.” She is precious. I’ll fight you. From there we’re introduced to the rest of the cast, and the plot begins to unfold in the longest common route I’ve ever done in my life (Hakuoki doesn’t count). It’s so long. Everyone has their own reasons for deciding to team up in this merry gang of sexy men with Cardia connected to some part of their conflict or path to resolution. From there we get a taste of every character before the route splits in chapter-god-damned-nine. Their world is akin to our’s, except there are history changes besides making everything steampunk, which I appreciate because it is more reimagined than historical fiction.


There are choices throughout the common route, and though they do display different scenes, they only really matter in building up affection to determine which character route you’ll end up on. Once you get past the first eight chapters, the story is completely different each time. Completely. Different. The only exception is that most LI paths get a nod in Lupin’s route, since he is the true route of the game, but even then, it doesn’t feel like a replaying of anyone’s previously done.


Replayability Rating: ★★★★★ Perfect score. There is not a route I would skip due to repetitive storytelling.


Love Interests: Oh boy, or should I say “Oh boys!”? Code: Realize boasts an average-sized cast of five LIs, though only four of them are available at the beginning of the game, with the fifth unlocked once you complete an ending (good or normal, not bad) in each route. This is an affection earning game in order to determine whose route you will be placed on, and it is very easy to figure out how to steer affection towards a certain LI, so there should be no issue in getting a route you are aiming for, if that is your goal. There isn’t really a suggested route order except for saving Saint-Germain for last (before Lupin, of course, since he is man-candy number 5 and unavailable in more ways than one). Basically, it boils down to: you can do the first three however you want, but you should save Saint-Germain for fourth in line as his route holds some overall story spoilers. In that case, I’ll list the LIs based on ramping up the angst. Feel free to pick and choose if there’s a type you like or you just want to romance one of the men of literature.


The easy-breezy, Impey-squeezy redhead is up first. Impey Barbicane comes on strong and he is certainly a character, a caricature, even. He is based on some French novel I’ve never heard of, by an author I have heard of, Jules Verne. It’s about a man (Impey Barbicane) who wanted to go to the moon way back in 1865. Interesting time period there, huh? Since Code: Realize is right around 1850. Anyways, Impey certainly carries the same goals as his novel-influenced self, and he’s willing to tell anyone that listens that he will get to the moon some day. That’s only one defining feature of this tall drink of delicious steam-power. He’s a genius inventor (or so he claims), a shameless flirt, the most emotive and emotional of the not so merry men, and has hair longer than most otome heroines. I love it. I love him. There is rarely a time that Impey is not smiling, and I know that genki, flirty, himbos are not most people’s cups of English tea, but this man will grow on you and work his way into your refined tastes. He gets probably the most romantic line in the game, imo. And the love story is full of goodness. Skip the normal end.


Coming off that beautiful high, we get to test our chemistry with Victor Frankenstein. If you can’t recognize the name, we can’t be friends. In this AU (alternate universe) Victor is an alchemist, and a brilliant one at that. He completes the smartboi look with glasses and kind features, kindness included, plus a touch of awkwardness because intelligent boys blushing is best. Despite obviously having a wealth of knowledge about many science-related fields, Victor doesn’t show the same enthusiasm and passion that Impey does, giving the impression of a reserved, book learned, cinnamon roll. Before you go down Victor’s route, you should already know that this cutie harbors a dark past that haunts him, much like Cardia’s past haunts her. Both revealed during the common route. Due to his personal story, romance comes in starts and fits but largely simmers on the backburner while more pressing matters are handled. This is a path I would suggest playing both the normal and happy ending in.


I’m a sucker for a man in a suit. I’m also a sucker for a LI introduced in a powerful manner where his presence is overwhelming. Abraham Van Helsing is brought into the story like any self-respecting bad guy would be, but… he’s not the bad guy? Once again, if you don’t know who this Vampire Hunter is, we can’t be friends. Van is a militaristic man, out for blood against some unnamed person that apparently you (Cardia) can help him get to. He doesn’t reveal who this person is until said person is introduced in the game. It isn’t revealed why he’s after this person until his route, as it should be. But let’s get back to this bodacious badass. If you want a man that internalizes everything and presents a gruff, aggressive exterior with a barely smoldering romance, this is your route. I was not a fan of the romance in this route, but I can’t say no to Van the man. Probably because he says it plenty for the both of us, so someone has to say yes. Really, though, the angst is turned up tenfold from the previous route, and that’s what got me. He’s just too cool. Aim for the happy end, but the normal end is optional on a second attempt.


Time to take a step away from the common folk and be treated by the eccentric Count Saint-Germain. This one is an interesting fellow who actually existed in our world and because of his constant spinning of webs about himself and his origins, he became somewhat of a legend and found his way into fiction. Anyways, time we moved on. Introduced as an androgonous-looking, mysterious, wealthy nobleman, he plays host to your group of studly suitors. He is, in fact, very pretty; so I can get the androgonous description from Cardia’s point of view, but if you ask me, he is a delectable uppercrust in looks and mannerisms. Sure, unlike Van he doesn’t exude masculinity, but Saint-Germain has his own air about him. Cool and composed at all times, he appears to be willing to jump into any adventure, head-sure and confident no matter what outcome comes about. It’s like life is a game to him, and he’s poised to win. If Van’s route was angst at dangerous levels, Saint-Germain somehow turned the control past max. How did it get to 12?! This is my route. This is my jam. This is my man. It’s a slow-burn romance with a sudden helping of accelerant added to the fire causing it to threaten to rage out of control. Skip the normal end, only happy.


And then there were five. Finally we’ve come to Arsene Lupin, the true route. Before I get started, let me say that I highly dislike true routes. I don’t like to be told who I’m supposed to end up with. I don’t like the story favoring one LI over the rest. It makes it feel like every other relationship is unnecessary, so what was the point in me playing through all of them to get to the chosen one? This is likely the only reason Lupin is not my top husbando from this game. It’s a silly reason, I know, but I tend to scrutinize these types of stories more because they’re supposed to be “right.”


So, what makes Lupin so special? I guess, what doesn’t make Lupin special? He’s the first LI we meet in the game, he’s the reason we are pulled into this world full of fine fellows, and he makes a promise that simply must be upheld if he’s going to keep his title as the gentleman thief. Lupin is a fictional character that, as you guessed it, was a “good” thief. He’s akin to a Victorian Robin Hood, defeating “bad” people for good reasons. He’s supposed to be portrayed as this cool, suave dude, but when circumstances deviate from his meticulous planning it seems like he just gets lucky. He is rather skilled, don’t get me wrong, but he is not infallible. I like a man with flaws, it makes them more interesting. He’s a grand character with a grand story that encompasses all previous stories in this game. Perhaps due to how larger than life everything is relating to Lupin, the romance flounders a bit. It just exists like every Lupin magic trick, supposedly there the entire time, but not revealed until Lupin wants it to be. It is cute. But it is like he knew from the beginning that he was the ultimate boyfriend, so there was never a question about if the two of you would end up together. Obviously we want the happy end, but this normal end is worth it as well. Do both.

Boy Crazy Rating: 96% There isn’t a man I don’t like here. By that I mean I like them all. Really like them all. ALL OF THEM.


Romance: Romance is integral to Code: Realize. It is a key ingredient needed in order for the story to rise to its perfect, rich form. No matter whose route you go down, there will be romance. It almost gives off a reverse harem feel, being that Cardia is living with five eligible bachelors who all dote on her in some fashion, one very obvious about it :cough:Impey:cough:. However, the romance in Code: Realize is just one aspect of the game, the plot, character backgrounds, and overall path to the resolution all work together to make this story something truly fantastic. Even for 1850 AU England, there are some touching moments of romance.


Heart Palpitation Rating: A-. Here’s how you can love without being able to touch.


Spice: If only this game was spicy! If only it made my heart race the way it did when the angst was flowing. I want to be red faced with this bunch of boys. Make me blush! Blast that Teen ESRB rating. So, there’s some spice, and it isn’t just black pepper, we have some sriracha in there, just not in the main story. You gotta get what you get in the after stories and bonus stories. There are some bare-chested men, some bare-chested and wet men, and one CG that shows the topside of a very nice bottom. Depending on your sensibilities, that one might make you blush. They do a good job with the sex appeal if you ask me, and you did, because you’re here, reading this. Look at me with those eyes and bare a little midsection. Less is more in this case.


Cold Shower Rating: Fail. A strategic cool cloth is all that’s needed for this level of heat.


Angst: I mean… the story kind of proclaims that “Here there be angst!” You play as a girl with poison in her body that renders her unable to touch anything without melting it. You’re practically kidnapped in the first chapter, twice, before deciding to team up with a thief for the promise of a wish fulfilled. Every strange man you meet has some reason to be close to you, the poisonous girl, and you’re really going to assume that’s the darkest it gets? Even if we ignore the MC and her sordid story, the players in this production are all questionable at best. It certainly doesn’t rise to some games levels of angst, but it is pretty angsty. There’s murder most foul, deception, tragedy, and bad ends which are (in most cases) very not happy.


Drama Llama Rating: 8/10 Ride the drama llama, it knows where to go.


Voice Acting: Code: Realize was the reason I even cared about seiyuus or voice acting in a game. This is my golden standard to which all others are compared. Every seiyuu is perfectly picked for their role, I literally couldn’t stand anyone else besides who was casted. I tried watching the anime in English, and I think I had a stroke. The original voice actors are just too good. I have to first acknowledge Yuki Kaji for his exceptional work on Finis. Who’s Finis? He’s not listed here since he’s a non-romanceable character, but that doesn’t mean his seiyuu doesn’t deserve some props. Look Yuki Kaji up. He has hundreds of credits for characters and you might already know who he is. Other names in this game are Shotaro Morikubo as the energetic Impey Barbicane, Tetsuya Kakihara as softboi Victor Frankenstein, Junichi Suwabe playing our tight lipped Abraham Van Helsing, Daisuke Hirakawa portraying the mysterious Saint-Germain, and Tomoaki Maeno as the cool Arsene Lupin. There are others who did exceptional as well, but those are the main characters in the game. If you don’t absolutely hate voice acting, listen to these dudes, they’ll do things to you.


Expression Rating: Shu. I considered buying a Drama CD just because of this game.


Art: This style is ballin’. There is so much detail in every background and sprite. Not only are the men all attractive, as they should be, but they are drawn with expressions that suit their personalities impeccably. Every character’s style is their own, you certainly won’t confuse one for any other. I think the work is all very lovely. Really, I have nothing bad to say about it. It’s great work.

Still Picture Rating: ★★★★☆ Many detail. Such personalization. Very aesthetic.


CGs: There are a great many CGs for this game, including a super fun CG with all the LIs and then some side characters that you get for completing all the CGs found in the game. The art is so good, and the CGs are so high quality. The choice of scenes to use are all very good, as well. Some with action, some with just impactful moments. They did well in choosing what to immortalize in the gallery. Nothing seems wonky in proportions, and I even appreciated the way they draw the differences in characters size and shape. I have, in fact, logged into my game just to look at the pictures again. I’d love to get my hands on an artbook so I didn’t need to turn on my system just to view these works.


Look at this Photograph Rating: 96% You don’t even need the story to understand the story told by these CGs.


UI/Mechanics: I played the Switch version of this game and it was incredibly easy to use. First thing I do when I start a new game is read the button configuration menu. You can access this while in the game if you forget what does what. Not only that, but the game will tell you easy controls such as how to navigate the glossary while playing. I had no issue saving, loading, or rewinding to previous scenes when I needed to. The main menu, though thematically named for this game, is also easy to navigate. The only thing that took some figuring out is the forced skip for read text and how to turn it on. The display for the controller tells you how to toggle between forced skip all and forced skip already read, and then tells you how to turn on skip, but there’s nothing that tells you to put those two steps together since the buttons are literally on different sides of the controller. It took a few seconds of fiddling before I figured it out, and I’ve had to answer this question more than once on multiple occasions, so I know it isn’t just me.


What’s this button do? Rating: A. Solid UI, controls, and no complicated game aspects.


Errors: There are a few errors here and there, but nothing that induces rage. I wouldn’t share with others the errors I found, because they’re really not noteworthy, unlike other games I’ve played. I don’t believe there are any translation errors, simply some punctuation, grammar, and like two spelling errors.


Here there be Bugs Rating: Pass. I can forgive and forget the minor issues.


Background Music: The production company knew exactly what they were doing with the BGM. The way it changes with the story, scene, or even to emphasize the point of a certain conversation was thought out ahead of time and used to the advantage of the game to make it better. It was good. I’m not sure I’d go out of my way to buy the OST for Code: Realize, but I would consider it if there was an offer available. Unfortunately, I already purchased the digital copy of the game before I considered the Deluxe physical copy, which includes the OST. I wasn’t going to pay that much for a game I already owned just to get some music.

BY OUR RATINGS COMBINED!: Oh ho! You thought you were done, didn’t you? Don’t worry, this will be short. Sometimes my individual ratings do not always add up to my overall rating; this is because I find a reason to rate the game based on things that are not listed in my (very) long review. I couldn’t section everything. Sometimes price factors in. Sometimes personal tastes. Basically, what it comes down to is would I buy this game knowing everything I know? Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes. Yes! Very yes! I tell strangers to buy this game when they're looking for a new otoge. I would sell this game to people who already bought it, if I could. That's how much this game means to me. I have, and would recommend it to my friends, so there's no question there. I did consider rating C:R higher, but I also didn't want to cap out my ratings in case something better came along. There are still some downfalls to the game. You could say I'd consider it a 9.5, but it isn't a solid 10. By the way, avoid the anime. This game is a long game, and they attempt to fit a full chapter of the game into a 25 minute episode. Even if you spent 1 hour per chapter, that's already much too truncated. (And I believe you'll spend much more than an hour per chapter.) It's not bad, but it certainly isn't as good as just playing the game. Too much missing. Not as pretty art. And awkward scripting, imo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of Doki Doki Digest - Moved to Sweet & Spicy Reviews!